Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rainwater barrel


This is my rainwater collecting barrel that I made to water my garden.  It cost me about $50 to make but you could do it for a lot less.  Store bought they are closer to $100 or more for a good sturdy one.  It was very easy to make.  
First you need about a 55 gallon food grade barrel.  You can get these free from soda bottling companies.  They fill them with syrup and then throw them away.  I had no luck with this option and got mine for $40 on ebay.  The hole on the top for the water to come in has to be mosquito proof.  I took an old piece of screen and attached it over the hole in the top with a large hose clamp.  Then I drilled a hole on the side at the bottom for the spigot.  The spigot cost about $4.  It was threaded so I just screwed it into the hole I drilled.  If you warm it up a little it helps it go smoother.  It took a few tries for me to get it to go in straight too.  Once it was in place nice and straight I sealed it with waterproof caulk all the way around the edge of the spigot.  A big tube of the caulk cost about $4.  Done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment