Monday, June 11, 2012

Fresh Foods: Strawberries

This is one of the strawberries, fresh from my garden this morning.  I love this time of year because we always eat strawberries, but right now I can get them fresh.  The store bought berries go bad so fast that we end up throwing half of them away.
That being said, strawberries are very easy to grow and I suggest you all try it.  A couple years ago I bought about 10 strawberry plants and planted them in a sunny spot in my yard.  I mulched all around them and then pretty much ignored them.  We got a decent amount of strawberries the next year.  This year they have gone completely wild.  We have more strawberries than you can imagine.  The June bearing berries we had planted spread like wild and have pretty much left no space between the plants for us to even get to all of the berries.  We are going to have to go through and thin the plants out after they finish fruiting.  Hopefully next year we will have nice, neat rows so we can get to the plants.  The only other thing you might have to do is protect them from the birds.  We mostly just cut off the part that the birds may have nibbled and eat the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment