Saturday, June 9, 2012

Perennial Vegetables

A huge part of permaculture is perennial vegetables.  Wikipedia defines permaculture as: a branch of ecological design and ecological engineering which develops sustainable human settlements and self-maintained agricultural systems modeled from natural ecosystems. You cannot have a self maintained annual garden.  Annuals take time and care and weeding and watering etc.  You have to plant new ones every year.  I'm not saying that you should give up your favorite tomatoes, but to plant some perennials in addition to your annual garden.  The perennial garden needs very little care.  You plant things once and once they are established they need minimal care.  You don't even have to water them.  The rain water should suffice.  If you put down a good mulch, then you won't have to weed.  These plants can be very different then you are used to but they can be just as delicious.  Asparagus and artichoke are two of the more common perennial vegetables just to give you an idea.  
I am just staring to learn about these vegetables and so I bought this book.  So far, it is full of great information.  I didn't realize that there were so many perennial vegetables to choose from.  I plan on spending my free time this winter learning as much as I can so that I can start a trial perennial garden this spring.  Just think how much work that will save me the following spring... One full bed already planted...     

No comments:

Post a Comment